Translate

Thursday, June 13, 2013

Shrinking Fibroids with Acupuncture: My Diet Plan

    When  I first began to research  Uterine fibroids after my diagnoses, I tried to determine how I may have developed them. I wanted to pinpoint the problem and get rid of it. However, there no ONE thing that caused uterine fibroids to grow - and I was all over the map as far as many of the factors were concerned!
.
Causes
     Uterine fibroids occur when a single uterine muscle cell spontaneously begins to reproduce itself over and over again until it creates a firm mass of tissue. While the cause of fibroid development has not been conclusively identified, research has determined that many fibroid tumors have gene alterations that are not present in normal uterine muscle cells. Scientists speculate that those alterations may be the cause of fibroid development, triggering the abnormal cell replication that is at the root of the process.+

       While the cause of fibroid tumors is not clear, a number of factors may increase a woman's risk of developing them. Women most likely to be affected by fibroids include those who have never been pregnant, individuals with a family history of fibroids, and women of African-American heritage. Some research has suggested that obesity may increase risk, while other studies have show no association between body weight and fibroids.+

Here are some additional factors that may lead to uterine fibroids:

Hormones. Estrogen and progesterone, two hormones that stimulate development of the uterine lining during each menstrual cycle in preparation for pregnancy, appear to promote the growth of fibroids. Fibroids contain more estrogen and progesterone receptors than do normal uterine muscle cells.^

Heredity - You may have a genetic predisposition for fibroid growths. I found out both my Mother and Grandmother had a bout with fibroids.

Poor Diet - Eating a lot of processed, fried and high-caloric foods isn't good. Eating red meat regularly was not good (I live in Texas!), and not eating consistently was not good. My problem was bittersweet as I ate well and balanced meals when I did eat, but I did not eat as often as I should have. I would run my body off of a large meal for eight hours, then maybe eat a snack before I got ready for bed. I was burning more calories than I was taking in. The key was to find 'balance' with my eating habits. On the flip side, I ate plenty of vegetables and grains, used evoo as much as possible when cooking, had more of a tendency for fish and chicken than red meat (which I ate/eat sparingly), and I was able to expand into organic foods with the hopes of increasing nutritional value and intake. After seeing several documentaries on Netflix during my time of research, my attitude altered a bit in considering the ssource of the food I was putting in my body. I've begun to look at health from the approach of GIGO - garbage in (the body) yields garbage out. Simple.


Stress. This factor can lead to imbalances in the body that produce toxins. I've read in some literature that uterine fibroids is a reaction to a build-up of toxins that may not only come from the uterus and/or ovaries, but from the liver, thyroid, heart, and kidneys. I definitely knew that my body was in a toxic state because it didn't feel good, I drank frequently prior to noticing the increased abdominal growth, and I had one of the most stressful jobs I've ever had at that time, proving myself as a restaurant manager for a local owner. It almost killed me.....but it didn't. That's when the heavy periods started....and didn't stop!

Cigarettes, Alcohol, Sugar. These three factors are self-evident in the harmful effects they cause. I was guilty of the cigarettes and alcohol part.

Genetic alterations. Many fibroids contain alterations in genes that are different from those in normal uterine muscle cells.^

Other chemicals. Substances that help the body maintain tissues, such as insulin-like growth factor, may affect fibroid growth.^

   (Please keep in mind that the factors I've cited above usually work in combination with eatch other as certain predispositions. Hence there is no ONE factor that causes fibroids).




Acupuncture and Diet
 
If you are considering Acupuncture to assist in shrinking your fibroids (of for any other medical problem), I would suggest you come to understand what is going on with your body during and after a session. Essentially, I would describe an Acupuncture procedure as one that is non-invasive, and that helps to restore internal balance in the body from the stimulation of points which can be identified by way of the skin (outer body).
 
 
 Eating - called the first line of defense in healing.
 
 
     Coupled with Acupuncture, the way you eat while undergoing the procedure can add in getting you in balance.  After adding more vegetables and grains to my diet, I reduced my alcohol intake (still grappling with the smoking, but making steady progress), and ate more frequently. As these fibroids have shrunk over the last year, I have been feeling more uncongested in my lower abdomen. The pressure from the over sized growth isn't pressing on my bladder (and probably a couple of other organs). My waistline is here! I see some former abs appearing in my upper torso. There's definite been a release of stuff physically, as well as otherwise. Also, I have been scant with taking vitamins, as I do my best to eat foods high in nutrition - lots of protein, all vegetables (those in season), fresh fruits, grains, beans, nuts...believe it or not. I have been blessed to work in a restaurant with a kitchen that gets in the fresh produce. I watch how certain cooks prepare the foods, and I get access to the excess AND the good stuff (periodically).
 
 
Water is the other component I've added more of to my diet. For quite some time, I found that I was constantly dehydrated. My lips would peel incessantly, no matter what I put on them to assuage the dryness. As I have been undergoing Acupuncture, I have increased my intake of water dramatically. Its as if I have been obeying my body and drinking water versus any other liquid. I've had to have water in my life - to the point that when I may go out and have a drink, I consciously drink a full glass of water along with my shot or glass of wine. My skin has been looking more buoyant, and my lips aren't peeling anymore. That has been awesome for me. To ensure I get adequate amounts of water (without thinking about it) I drink 2 -2 1/2 33.8oz bottles of water per day. I carry my bottle with to work, and drink throughout the day, and after my lunch break. As the Acupuncture procedure is setting you into balance, your body is expelling toxins (in my case, the fibroids). The high intake of water helps the body to flush your system.
 
Before going to my Acupuncture session, I usually go to mass. I've also been doing a spiritual fast, and by the time I'd get to the Doctor's office, my stomach is growling loudly. I do not suggest this. The body is trying to get energy, and is working in overdrive to sustain itself until the next meal (feasting). Instead, I have read and found that it is better to maintain and support the stomach by eating between 1 1/2 - 2 hours before acupuncture. Digestion has a chance to run its course comfortably, and fuels the body as the energies are redirected and/or put into harmony during a session. Keep in mind that eating slowly is better for your digestion, and you get full faster.
 
After my session I will usually eat chicken or seafood. If I treat myself to lunch out, I'll get Thai or Indian food, or sushi or shrimp, etc. I'm not particular about the sides, but I don't do many carbs. Lots vegetables, and lots of sauces! I have come across info that suggests certain foods that reflect certain energies and can support the balance that the Acupuncture is addressing. However, my Practitioner never made any suggestions about the foods I should eat. I did some research to see what was generally accepted or suggested. I can only presume that I have put myself on the right track with what and how I eat, as it probably contributed to the success I've had with Acupuncture in shrinking my fibroids.  
 






^ http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/uterine-fibroids/DS00078/DSECTION=causes


http://www.haltmedical.com/causes-of-fibroids

No comments:

Post a Comment