Translate

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Fibroids - A Closer Look

     As I continue with my weekly Acupuncture regimen, I am intrigued with delving into this 'Menopausal stage' through which I have been riding. I did some more research that I'd like to share  in this post. If nothing else, you will KNOW something that you didn't before:

Fibroid tumors are sensitive to changes in a woman's monthly hormone cycle. As estrogen levels tend to increase before menopause starts, many uterine fibroids start to grow. This may make the symptoms worse. After menopause, estrogen falls dramatically. This causes the fibroids to shrink (although they probably won't totally disappear) and the symptoms to diminish. If a woman is taking hormone replacement therapy (HRT), however, she will probably not experience a shrinking of the fibroids or a lessening of the symptoms.
http://www.cedars-sinai.edu/Patients/Health-Conditions/Fibroids-Uterine.aspx


Recommended advice from 'Dr. McLucas' of http://www.fibroids.com/news-blog/2010/06/fibroids-menopause/:

"..... the best time to treat fibroids that are causing painful symptoms like heavy bleeding, frequent urination, back ache or leg pains, is right now. “If you’re in your late 40s, you are also in what amounts to an ‘estrogen bath,’ ” Dr. McLucas said. He added that right before menopause, when estrogen is removed from the body as the ovaries stop , women will experience several months or years of estrogen dominated menstrual cycles. Since fibroids are estrogen sensitive, there is almost always a growth spurt for fibroids."  This influx of estrogen caused a  growth spurt with the fibroids, resulting beyond 16cm (at least the biggest one of the cluster). After reading about the hysterectomy procedure, I felt there was time to seek out  another way to address shrinking my fibroids.  My fibroids were huge! But I couldn't fathom going under the knife.  Settling for  my 'Frankenstein' pose (see below) is sufficient....and it works.


This is an example of what goes on during my Acupuncture session....with the low dosages of electricity that I feel through the needles, I really DO feel a bit Frankenstein-ish and experimental! Needless to say, I chuckle to myself throughout my session, as I let my imagination wander, and think back to the old black and white version of
 Frankenstein with Boris Karloff - classic!
 



    




No comments:

Post a Comment