Translate

Friday, May 9, 2014

Taking Vitamin D Stopped My Hot Flashes: Personal Experiment



     As I have expressed the challenges  encountered with having uterine fibroids, my body has provided a hormonal playground for Mother Nature to do her thing: I am also going through perimenopause! Estrogen levels are all over the place. The Acupuncture and Chinese herbs  I have used as a natural way to shrink the fibroids has been working slowly, but successfully. Over the last year, I've had to weather the flames of Hades while dealing with this "wonder of nature" called hot flashes.

     Granted, with all the personal research and digging around already done to understand my fibroid condition and combat it naturally, I was ripe to take on conquering the infernal flames with something(s) that would show results, and not hurt my body. As a result, I explored  the effects of  Iodine and Vitamin D to see if either could lessen and/or dissipate my hot flashes - I was my own experiment.


Iodine: Why You Need It? Why You Can't Live Without It


       Not long after receiving the news that I had developed  uterine fibroids, I incorporated Iodine into my supplement routine, in the form of Liquid Kelp. My preferred manner in taking it was sublingually, as opposed to pill form. It has no odor or taste. It was a bit difficult to specify how the liquid kelp affected or contributed to the Acupuncture in shrinking my fibroids. However, I felt revitalized after taking it, and used it sparingly throughout the week for about six months.  With continued success occurring from the Acupuncture and Chinese herbs, I streamlined additional supplements  along with the liquid kelp to make a more direct correlation as to what was really causing the fibroids to shrink? The Acupuncture won out in showing continued shrinkage without consistent use of additional natural supplements or herbs. I only took liquid kelp, Vitamin E, B complex, , combo supplement of Magnesium, Calcium and Zinc, a spoon full of molasses and Milk Thistle, on a varied, every other day basis, as well as loading up lots of vegetables every day. 
 
 
Then it happened...
 
 
 
 
     I thought I was losing my mind! I frantically began to do some research, talked to Mom, and some friends. It was unanimous - I was entering into the Menopause Zone; what a whammy! The flashes were intense, frequent, really bad at night, embarrassing, and a continued mystery to my brain because my body was doing things that were paradoxical- I would sleep in the winter with the air conditioner on! (By the way, that's when it actually set in). After three months of torture I came across a video by Dr. David Brownstein. I believe I may have been searching for information about the thyroid and other glands associated with Menopause in order to get a handle on the hot flash phenomenon.

        While getting a great education from Dr. Brownstein's video on the thyroid (how it works,  how its related to the female reproductive system, and the importance of iodine), I remembered I hadn't had a 'shot' of Liquid Kelp in quite a while. Remember: the Acupuncture was working on the fibroids and promoting internal balance. So I went to a bare minimum of taking anything else. I decided to arise from my seat, and take some. I then decided to resume a more frequent regimen with it see if there would be any affects on the flashes. I began taking a shot of iodine everyday.

    After  three days, I noticed I wasn't running to the bathroom as much to wipe off sweat, or grabbing pieces of ice to suck on while at work. In addition, I found I was able to sleep throughout the night without getting up to change shirts due to constant night sweats. I was actually starting to get rest. The flashes stopped. Please keep in mind that I did nothing else different with regard to my lifestyle and diet. I just added the Liquid Kelp in on a daily basis, and the flashes stopped.......this was in March.


      By the onset of the summer (June) they were creeping back. I noticed they were not as intense as the initial bout had occurred. But nonetheless still a nuisance.


                                                        Back to the drawing board............



       After approximately two months, I noticed a reduction in the frequency, but the flashes continued.... then I ran out of liquid kelp. I decided not to replace it (and eat more seaweed salads during the week), and concluded that there was something else out of keel with my hormones that I was missing.  I expected the liquid kelp to work as before, but it didn't.  So, my search continued with other 'natural' stuff that reports have shown could be effective against hot flashes.

                                     Fast forward from June 2013 to end of March, 2014.......

      I came across info on Vitamin D, and it's connection in possibly preventing uterine fibroids, and or lessening the severity of symptoms and growth. After a reading pages of articles, medical comments and reports on the subject, I decided to increase my intake of Vitamin D from two to three times each week to daily. The reason I began taking it to begin with is because I am not outside on any regular basis, and lack sunlight.

"Within all the people who go to their doctor with vitamin d deficiency, 40% report having fatigue, 9% report having hot flashes, and 9% report having joint pain. The symptoms that are highly suggestive of vitamin d deficiency are hot flashes, infrequent menstruation, and back stiffness or tightness, although you may still have vitamin d deficiency without those symptoms. "  http://www.symcat.com/conditions/vitamin-d-deficiency

      I also paired Vitamin D with a daily supplement combo of magnesium, calcium and zinc. Two weeks into the next  month (April), I received that epiphany moment again when I realized I wasn't reaching for ice cubes while working, nor simultaneously combusting into a free standing waterfall of sweat while having a simple conversation with a stranger. Could they be gone?.......By the third week (towards the end of April, 2014), I knew the hellish flames had ceased. 



Conclusion:

Based on this 'personal experiment' with Iodine and Vitamin D, I found;

 --The Iodine stopped the hot flashes quickly, but the effects did not last long even while taking reduced amounts after hot flashes stopped. In turn, the hot flashes resumed almost three months later, but were less frequent and intense.

--The Vitamin D worked within a couple of weeks, and has continued to keep hot flashes at bay. (I must also add that I have not had any bouts of dizziness when getting out of bed in the mornings. Dizziness is a symptom that I have read that is associated with Menopause).

Therefore one could postulate that Vitamin D is effective at stopping hot flashes.

However, these factors need to be taken into consideration:

  • My body could have  just been doing its own thing with regard to the 'hot flash' period dissipating during this perimenopausal phase.
  • My hormone/estrogen levels may be balancing out.
  • The effects of the vitamin D could be enhanced by the supplement combo.
  • Stress level at work has drastically reduced (high stressed environments dealt with on a consistent basis has been attributed to uterine fibroids).

     This similar 'personal experiement' I did with Vitamin D would have to be tested with a larger test group (than just little ol' me) to bring forth more consistent data.

     For now, I'm rolling with it until something different happens. If the hot flashes return, then I can alter my conclusion.  I just think the coincidence of taking the Vitamin D, then the hot flashes ceasing is very noteworthy. And as I continue the daily routine of taking Vitamin D, I have no hot flashes.

    I will offer follow-up in 30 - 60 days, or if I begin to experience the hot flashes again.


 Please feel free to forward any questions regarding uterine fibroids you would like to see addressed on this blog.


This is Part 1.  Follow-Up, Part 2 is here



Happy Health!


K


Disclaimer:

Although I believe the use of Vitamin D stopped my hot flashes, it may not work the same way with someone else. If you, the reader decide you want to try Vitamin D (or any other natural supplement or herb that I have used and listed in this blog) to see if it would help you alleviate your hot flashes, please consult  your Doctor or Health Care Professional, first.

The purpose of this blog is to share my personal experience, inform, and provide a venue of support.
 
This blog is not responsible for any action taken by the reader that results in harm or distress from information posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment