Translate

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Acupuncture Results to Shrink Fibroids Dismissed by MD

 
 


 
Go West or East?
 Deciding Which Medical Path to Take
 
      On yesterday I visited with a new Gynecologist (3rd one) in order to gain another opinion/recommendation about more that could be done regarding my fibroids, as well as my regular wellness exam.  After extensive conversation about symptoms, discomfort, heavy bleeding (of which I have none), I mentioned and showed the Doctor how much of a reduction I had experienced from doing the 16 months I had been undergoing weekly Acupuncture. Due to my age, he expressed that I was within the range of experiencing the beginning effects of menopause (which is decreased estrogen production), and....."that was the reason my fibroids were shrinking, not the Acupuncture". I was a little miffed when I heard him say this, as I knew these things:
 
  • My large fibroids began to show shrinkage within the first two weeks of  undergoing Acupuncture.
  • During two periods when I skipped Acupuncture sessions, the fibroids grew and became harder. It took almost a month to get on track to the shrinkage level accomplished before.
  • Every week there is a distinct degree of shrinkage and softening of the remaining fibroid masses.
  • Pictures shown throughout this blog, in addition to comments from friends who've noticed that I've "lost weight" attest to the fibroid shrinkage I've undergone over the last 16 month.
     
      There seemingly was no room for the Doctor to consider that an alternative method that has been practiced for centuries could have a real affect on my fibroid situation.
 
      Based on the empirical evidence above, conversely, I'd have to dismiss the MD's claim that Acupuncture is not the reason my fibroids are shrinking. Acupuncture, for me has shown an obvious, direct effect on my shrinking fibroids. Without it, they grow very fast. With that said, I would have to connect the dots from Acupuncture to estrogen levels and  a possible relationship between the two, instead of menopause to further support the belief that the Acupuncture is to be credited for fibroid shrinkage. I am not sure at what rate my body may be decreasing in estrogen production. Clearly, some more research and a follow-up is needed.
 
 
      After my exam, I was directed to schedule a sonogram with the RN on staff, and the Doctor said he would check to ensure that "things were stable".  Unlike the other (2) Gynecologists I had previously seen, this one didn't immediately bark "You need to have a hysterectomy to get rid of the fibroids", which was refreshing. Instead, he explained that the prior hysterectomy recommendations I'd received resulted in the preventative measures for Ovarian Cancer. As the fibroids grow, they may hide what is happening to the uterus, and once Ovarian Cancer is discovered, it could be to late, or dire circumstances would prevail. (It would have been nice if my other Gynecologists would  have articulated this to me.) 
 
      Interestingly enough, the Doctor mentioned nothing else about the Acupuncture. I kinda thought he would be a bit curious - heck I was ready to give him the web address to my blog so he could see the results that have occurred over time for himself. But  he is the trained professional, not me. I didn't want to force my opinion of seeking an alternative method to shrink my large fibroids. I chose this Doctor because of his training and expertise.  Who am I to disagree or contradict what he says according to the dictates of Western medicine. However, the results I've received from the Acupuncture, a technique used from Traditional Chinese Medicine is has been safe, non-invasive, convenient AND effective.
 
      After the sonogram next week, we will be able to see how much shrinkage has occurred over the last year. Remember, I started out with fibroids measuring up to 16cm! I am excited to see how small they measure now. Also, with a fresher perspective from a new Doctor, I will find out if a hysterectomy or other procedure is indeed necessary at this point.....until then, I will continue with my weekly Acupuncture sessions.
  
 
 
 
Happy Health!
 
 
K




 


Blog Directory & Search engine

1 comment: